Salamis Ruins

The ancient city of Salamis is a must to see in North Cyprus. The remains were first excavated in 1882 and stopped in 1974. There is still vast areas of the ancient city waiting to be discovered.

The current excavated site is about 1 kilometer long, along the coast.  Salamis, once the main commercial centre of Cyprus, serves her visitors with a beautiful gymnasium, an amphithatre, roman baths, the basilica and the forum.

The Gymnasium:
With mosaics and malbe statues, was once the school and main cente rof attraction of the ancient city. The columns were reassmbled after being victims of a major earthquake in the 50’s. Sadly, none of the statues have their heads in place.

The Roman Baths:
Much of the roman baths were covered with their Byzantium replacements; but some remains of Romans can still be seen beneath the Byzantium pools and steam rooms. Bases of pools are covered with mosaics, and amongst them is the famous Legend of Leda and the Swan.

The Basilicas:
Ayios Epifanios basilica was once the largest basilica in whole Cyprus. And towards the sea is Kambanopetra  basilica.

The Amphitheatre:
The theatre with and original capcity of over 15,000 people and 50 rows of seats, now has 18 rows. As a typical Roman theatre, it still hosts concerts throughout the year.